Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Week 1

This week I spent most of my time pouring over cooking, food, wine, wedding and other upscale magazines. I went through several of the most promising designs and flaged different elements that I found appealing or useful for this project. I looked at design elements, colors, grids, recipie layouts, typography, colors mostly.

Some of the magazines I found most useful were:
Food and Wine, The Chefs Issue, July 2007
Everyday With Rachael Ray, June/July 2007
Italia
The Bride and Bloom, Fall 2007
Baltimore Bride, Summer 2007

I also picked some of the magazines, that I found the most sucessful with their grids and most similar to the size of the DC Chefs magazine, and traced over their grids on tracing paper. These magazines were Italia pg. 17 , The Bride and Bloom Fall 2007 pg. 127-149 and Baltimore Bride Summer 2007 pg. 19-27.

I also looked some at colors in some of the magazines. I especially focused on the colors in the foods. Focusing a lot on the vibrant colors and finding CMYK equivalents with the book Process Color Manual by Micheal and Pat Rogondino.

No comments: